Sunday, August 28, 2011

Back to the Future

I attest that being in Hong Kong this time around feels hella better than last.  Perhaps it's the nostalgia of revisiting a familiar place that feels welcoming?  Or possibly it's the joy of respite from the grit & chaos of Southeast Asia that feels endearing.  Or maybe I'm primed & overdue for the modern day world of a modern day city.  Whatever the case, I'll relish in the comforts of first world environs.  I'll dwell amongst the absence of horns. I'll gulp lungs full of fresh air.  And I'll adore the liberty of being ignored.

Hong Kong is THE futuristic city.  With miles of elevated catwalks, wacky-looking mirror-plated skyscrapers, double-decker buses, pristine MRT subway systems, polished streets, neon, glitz, glamour & shine, it is a far cry from the likes of Hanoi, Phnom Penh, Bangkok and Saigon.  I have come BACK TO THE FUTURE!  And right now it feels good.

The skyline: ridiculous.  The foods: fantastic.  And after six strict straight weeks of eating vegetarian in India, I will proudly go to Hong Kong and indulge in the non-vegetarian dishes that make Chinese cities great.  Chicken, pork and beef oh my. Yes. I'll have some. Thank you.

Ah yes, it's a pleasure being back in Hong Kong.  And although this visit will be short lived, it feels rewarding & enjoyable.  I'll secure an entry-visa to mainland China, take a day-trip to the Portuguese port of Macau, and spend the weekend exploring, wandering, meandering and sightseeing.  Something tells me that post-travel life is gonna be harder than this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment