Thursday, June 16, 2011

The Unsuspected Detour:

...we interrupt this blogspot to bring you impromptu coverage live from Dubai...

It seems a strange and fateful twist has arisen.  Sri Lankan Airway officials unloaded a bit of surprising news when they informed me that my seat assignment was doled to another as proof of payment was never received despite E-Ticket confirmation.  In another place and time I'd have displayed some concern but I feel I am meant to be cultivating detachment from the peaks and troughs of emotion.  Besides, being able to take an opportunity to choose random flights off the Departure's Board is one of the great privileges of not working- I like not having any plans.  

So, with passport in hand, I view my options for today's departures out of Colombo International: Kuwait...Baghdad...Tehran...Riyadh...Doha...(that's in Qatar I think??)...Dubai...London...Kuala Lumpur...

Dubai!! I've heard a lot about this place.  Man-made islands, mega-malls, indoor-skiing, the Middle East; I've never been to the Middle East.  I think it could be worthy of a visit. A quick inquiry at the service desk and a few keystrokes by the attendant has me opting for a window seat; I wanna see what this place looks like as we come in.  The Dubai Outbound Flight 651 on Emirates leaves in two hours.  I better grab a guidebook.

Emirates' in-flight service: fantastic!  The meal and complimentary liquor selection: commendable.  A few bourbons down and I'm feeling relaxed as I start gaining doubts about such a rogue decision.  I anticipated bedding down in India when I awoke this morning.  That's not happening anymore.

Upon descent the enormous immensity of the desert unveils itself.  Holy Shizzle!  We're really here.  The United Arab Emirates sitting atop its massive oil reserves.  This is all starting to feel very real.  I'd better shake off the bourbons and collect my wits.  I'll take a turkish coffee now please.  I suspect the Mid-East will be a whole 'nother ball of wax from easy Asia.  Different people, different architecture, different foods, alphabet, religion, history, customs and mindset.  It's a giant shake-up of last-minute proportions. Was this decision sane?


No comments:

Post a Comment