Saturday, February 26, 2011

Up the River Without a Paddle

What can I say about Laos?

For starters, I'll say about Laos what the United States Central Intelligence Agency government website says about Laos: "The large amount of unexploded ordinance (UXO) leftover from the Indochina War causes more than 300 casualties per year.  UXO contaminates some parts of Sevannakhet, Champassak, Luang Prabang, and Vientiane Provinces.  In addition, there are numerous mine fields leftover from the war along Route 9 and Route 20 to Pakse and Route 7 and Route 3 to VietNam.  Never pick up unknown metal objects and avoid traveling off well used roads, tracks and paths."

The Mekong River
Well slap a weapons manufacturer, isn't that interesting? How could they have possibly known my every anticipated destination?  Every spot I intend to to pass through is listed as a potentially dangerous UXO hotspot.  Perhaps I better bring a helmet.  And a flak-jacket. And some steel-toe boots.  Can this trip up the Mekong really be a good idea? I'm beginning to wonder...

No comments:

Post a Comment