Thursday, December 23, 2010

Nam's the word

Hoi An
I have to say that this trip to VietNam has been quite enjoyable.  I'm not sure if it's the ideal place to live long term but for a vacation, you cannot be disappointed here.  Ten days in the north followed by a month down the coast yielded some fantastic destinations of a most interesting sort.  Hanoi is 1000 years old.  Hue is 1000 years old. Hoi An is 1000 years old.  Excellent beaches and ancient cities, relics and ruins, mixed with wild history and exotic foods, VietNam offers the best value for your dollar as you may find anywhere in the world.

Maybe I just like waking up when I want, eating out breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and paying five dollars a night for a private hotel room. Or maybe it's all the sightseeing, the beach time, the motorbike excursions, the trips through the countryside, or the lakes, mountains and waterfalls that inspire me.  I do know that I very much enjoy the iced coffees, the fresh fruits and all the delicious seafoods; they are well-good. I find the crispy-fried whole fish is always a delightful treat, especially when it's plated in a nice sauce.  Occasionally I find myself taking pleasure in an early evening stroll through the nightmarkets, and I find it pleasant to sample all the local beers while making story time with other travelers and locals alike.  But I have to admit that every now and again, I do require some personal time to read my book or reflect.

No comments:

Post a Comment